* Maternal death identification, notification and reporting
* Creating a conducive enabling environment
* Components of and background information on maternal death surveillance and response systems
* Piloting and implementing MDSRs with a focus on opportunities and challenges
* Use of findings at multiple levels, including data management, to improve quality of care, prevent further deaths and influence the health system more broadly
* Training and support
Countries in the Africa region and beyond are in various phases of implementing maternal death surveillance and response systems (MDSRs), each with differing levels of experience and expertise. Technical support, guidance and training are required to ensure that MDSR roll-out (i.e. design, implementation, enabling policy environment) is both effective and successful and that on-going support is provided as needed.
In response to this emerging need, we have developed this survey to help define these needs and skills.
Information gathered through this survey and through E4A focus countries, will help articulate a strategy for training and support for those committed to improving quality of care and maternal survival through effective MDSR. A database will also be created of individuals with expertise and/or experience in MDSRs as well as those interested in potentially being part of informal or formal networks. E4A will work closely with WHO, CDC, FIGO, UNFPA and others to help facilitate access to capacity building, technical support and guidance and networks on MDSRs.